You are probably not yet registered in the forum - Click here to sign up for free  
Forum Overview | Search | Register | Login | Online? | Members | FAQ
You may sign up here.
This thread has 1 Replies
and was viewed 31 times.
Inform me about replies
 On the discussion itself Sort: Old posts first  
Mithcoriel

17.06.2007 18:07
Silly arguments - What annoys you most in discussions? reply
We've all had arguments with people who don't agree with us, I'm sure. Sometimes, our conversation partners are narrowminded or mean. What sort of quotes annoy you, in a discussion? (Mostly I'm referring to religious issues, as what is discussed on this board, but you can also mention more general things.)

Here's what I can come up with:

Random insults
I don't know how it is with you, but I was taught already in primary school that one of the rules for argumenting is that you should stay on topic, and not just resort to primitive insults like "And anyway, you're ugly!" or whatever. But I still see it plenty of times. The latest example is someone I had an argument with on Youtube about religion. The person started looking at my favourite videos and randomly insulting them. ("That one's such a sob-song! Gosh, and that one's embarassing, I hope you're not one of those dorks on there"..). Idiotic off-topic comments like this just show me the person doesn't have any good arguments, and make me wonder if it's worth bothering to continue the discussion.

"The others are lying!"
I don't know why people keep using the word "lie" in arguments. No one is "lying". Lying means you knowingly give people the wrong facts. But in discussions such as Creationism vs Evolution, for example, the scientists are just reporting the evidence they found and the conclusions they drew from it, it's not like they're trying to mislead people on purpose. Likewise, religious people aren't spreading lies about the creation of the world, they are just defending what they believe to be true. So, instead of using the word "lie", I'd recomment "they are mistaken" instead.

Generalizing
Just because there was a scandal about one priest/preacher/whatever, that doesn't mean all clerics are pervs. Just because some religious fanatics kill people, you can't condemn the peaceful majority of followers of the same religion. And saying: "How many people have atheists killed?" is certainly no argument against atheists, especially considering they don't feel like they are a group and fight in the name of atheism like religious crusaders do.

"We are right and everybody else is wrong. Their ideas are ridiculous!"
It would be nice if people could show a bit more respect. Especially when two religions bash each other. Why should it be more ridiculous to believe in a Goddess than in a God, or vice versa? Why should it be more ridiculous to believe in heaven than in reincarnation, and vice versa? As for religion vs atheism: You can't prove wether God exists or not, so calling someone an idiot because they disagree with you on this issue is pretty silly, whatever side you may be on.

"Since you react in such an outraged way, my theory must be true."
Sorry, but this is one of the cheapest arguments I know. (Hitler already used it: Certain writings claimed that the Jews were conspiring with the communists to take over the world, and the documents were based 100% on fake proof, as the newspaper frequently reminded people. Hitler just commented: "The newspaper keeps wailing about the writings supposedly being a fake -- the best proof they're true!") You see what I mean. Anyone can come up with an absolutely ridiculous, outrageous claim, and then, if the opponents say nothing, they'll take that as a 'yes', and if they complain, they'll take that as a 'definitely yes'.

"My arguments validate each other".
Things such as: "How do we know the bible is the word of God?" "Because God says so." "How do we know God says so?" "Because it's written in the bible." Just generally if someone uses a "fact" as an argument that's only a fact to them.

I'll think of more later.
Mithcoriel

25.11.2007 19:02
RE: Silly arguments - What annoys you most in discussions? reply

Okies, I moved the forum over here: http://controversies.yuku.com/topic/377
Don't worry, you can continue discussing right there. ^^

jumo  
Xobor Erstelle ein eigenes Forum mit Xobor
Datenschutz